Aviation Maintenance Technician (AMT)
“It’s a great opportunity for recently separated veterans to continue and apply their skills in the aviation industry…“
The Aviation Maintenance Technician (AMT) program will allow you to use your military aviation maintenance experience to work as an AMT without an A&P license. You must obtain your certification prior to completion of 24 months of employment to remain in the position. HAECO pays for the certification in full for this program.
As a Military Aviation Maintenance Trainee, your duties may include:
- Perform such typical maintenance operations as the removal and replacement of aircraft and powerplant components that require bolting, torquing, adjusting, rigging, and safety wiring to include powerplant, and flight control removal/installation.
- Troubleshoot, repair, clean, service, modify, replace, and/or overhaul aircraft and aircraft systems using approved data to ensure airworthiness.
- Follow all applicable specifications to accomplish a specific task.
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment.
- Perform work within estimated hours.
- Follow all safety procedures and specifications.
- Execute all required paperwork in connection with assigned normal duties.
- Use and operate ground support equipment, as applicable and if qualified, in a safe manner.
- Work with Leads and Supervision to accomplish assignments with little or no rework.
- Interface effectively with members of management, other departments, and co-workers.
Through the AMT Program at HAECO, you will work in a hangar environment. You will use hand and power tools to complete your work and noise levels can be high at times with normal or corrected hearing as a requirement. Due to the nature of the work as an aircraft maintenance trainee at HAECO, you should also expect to work on the aircraft in different types of climate conditions. Sometimes at HAECO, work requires the use of scaffolds or ladders and the work performed may be physical at times. You must be capable of lifting fifty (50) pounds and have a minimum visual acuity of 20/40 corrected. You must also be able to access all areas of the aircraft and use required safety equipment as necessary.
Training and Certification
The AMT program at HAECO provides on the job training in commercial aviation for veterans with military aviation maintenance experience in preparation for Airframe and Powerplant certification.
Upon successful completion of the Airframe and Powerplant certificate, you should be able to:
- Smooth transition from military to a civilian workplace environment
- Experience at an MRO in commercial aviation
- Able to better prepare for the Airframe and Powerplant Certification through hands on experience
- Demonstrate the privileges and responsibilities of certified FAA Aircraft Maintenance Technician
Overall employment of aircraft and avionics equipment mechanics and technicians is projected to grow 6 percent from 2021 to 2031, about as fast as the average for all occupations. About 13,100 openings for aircraft and avionics equipment mechanics and technicians are projected each year, on average, over the decade. (From US Bureau of Labor Statistics)” –Aviation Technician Education Council (ATEC)
The pay for Aircraft Mechanics varies based on experience and geographical region. Once fully qualified, the annual salary for aircraft mechanics at HAECO ranges from $37,000 to $83,000
Health & Benefits
Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
Short and Long Term Disability
Life and AD&D Insurance
Business Travel Accident Insurance
Medical Supplemental Plans (Hospital Indemnity and Critical Illness and Accident Insurance)
Onsite Health Clinic
401K Savings Plan
Health Savings Account
Additional HAECO Programs
Employee Assistance Program
Premiums for Certifications and Shift Assignments
Career Progression Program
Norton Life Lock Identity Theft Protection
Your Career Path for the Military Aircraft Maintenance Technician (AMT) Program
for the Aircraft Maintenance Technician position
as an AMT until receiving A&P license through Certification Assistance
Explore Your Career Path at HAECO
Skills development through in-house and cross-training programs
Continuing education with partner educational institutions
Tuition and certification reimbursement; tool purchase assistance
“Military Friendly® Employer” – nearly 40% of our team are veterans