Aircraft Mechanic Helper
“I believe this program is a great jump start for anyone trying to get into aviation“
The Aircraft Mechanic Helper program at HAECO is offered to recent high school graduates and anyone that wants to start a career in aviation maintenance. You must be currently enrolled, or will enroll, in a certified Airframe and Powerplant program at a local community college partner. While enrolled, you can work at HAECO on a part-time or full-time basis. Tuition and fees are paid in full for this program. Currently this program is available at our Greensboro, NC location but opportunities will be available soon at our Lake City, FL location as well.
As an Aircraft Mechanic Helper, you will:
- Assist Aircraft Mechanics in servicing, repairing and overhauling of aircraft and aircraft components.
- Remove inspection plates, cowling, engine covers, floorboards, and related items to provide access for inspection and repair, and replaces items when work is completed.
- Apply Dinotrol to aircraft structure in preparation for panel close.
- Perform duties such as furnishing materials, tools and supplies to mechanics, lifting and holding materials in place during operation; cleaning work areas and machines, tools, and equipment.
- Clean aircraft, interior and exterior parts and assemblies with solvents or other cleaning solutions.
- Must work a minimum of 24 hours per week at a schedule to be determined by the assigned Supervisor and Manager
As an Aircraft Mechanic Helper at HAECO, you will work in a hangar environment. You will use hand and power tools to complete your work and noise levels can be high at times with normal or corrected hearing as a requirement. Due to the nature of the work as an Aircraft Mechanic Helper at HAECO, you should also expect to work on the aircraft in different types of climate conditions. Sometimes at HAECO, work requires the use of scaffolds or ladders and the work performed may be physical at times. You must be capable of lifting fifty (50) pounds and have a minimum visual acuity of 20/40 corrected. You must also be able to access all areas of the aircraft and use required safety equipment as necessary.
Training and Certification
This program prepares individuals with the basic knowledge and skills for a career as an Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) Mechanic. The program requires the completion of an Aviation Systems Technology program through our local community college partner near both our locations in Greensboro, NC and Lake City, FL. This program is designed to prepare students for certification through the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for the Airframe, Powerplant, or both ratings.
Upon successful completion of the Airframe and Powerplant certificate, you should be able to:
- Service airframe systems and structures as allowed by the FAA
- Repair systems components within the limits prescribed by the FAA
- Replace aircraft systems components within the limits prescribed by the FAA
- Demonstrate proper documentation of maintenance, servicing, and repair records as required by the FAA
- Demonstrate the privileges and responsibilities of certified FAA Aircraft Maintenance Technicians
Overall employment of aircraft and avionics equipment mechanics and technicians is projected to grow 6 percent from 2021 to 2031, about as fast as the average for all occupations. About 13,100 openings for aircraft and avionics equipment mechanics and technicians are projected each year, on average, over the decade. (From US Bureau of Labor Statistics)” –Aviation Technician Education Council (ATEC)
The pay for Aircraft Mechanics varies based on experience and geographical region. Once fully qualified, the annual salary for aircraft mechanics at HAECO ranges from $37,000 to $83,000
Health & Benefits
Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
Short and Long Term Disability
Life and AD&D Insurance
Business Travel Accident Insurance
Medical Supplemental Plans (Hospital Indemnity and Critical Illness and Accident Insurance)
Onsite Health Clinic
401K Savings Plan
Health Savings Account
Additional HAECO Programs
Employee Assistance Program
Premiums for Certifications and Shift Assignments
Career Progression Program
Norton Life Lock Identity Theft Protection
Your Career Path for the Aircraft Mechanic Helper Program
in the location specific Aircraft Systems Technology Program
for the Aircraft Mechanic Helper Program
P/T at HEACO while completing the 18 to 24 month program
with authority to test for A&P Mechanic Certificate
Explore Your Career Path at HAECO
Skills development through in-house and cross-training programs
Continuing education with partner educational institutions
Tuition and certification reimbursement; tool purchase assistance
“Military Friendly® Employer” – nearly 40% of our team are veterans